Saturday, June 21, 2008

Visiting Mozambique (written February 25, 2008)






The silence of the city was deafening yesterday. I never thought of Mozambique as a third world country but then again I didn’t do my research. Didn’t care enough I suppose. Yesterday, me and Angie landed in Maputo the capital city of Mozambique. It was a shock to say the least. I am not too sure what we expected but what I didn’t expect was a picture of Haiti in Africa. They say my parents’ home country is the poorest, but I think they may not have seen Maputo. Here, people sleep in the streets next door to fancy hotels and people eating well. It's “Africa in Decay” as Angie has said many times since we’ve been here. Yesterday we paid $70 US Dollars to a cab to eat at a restaurant called Cosa de Sol. Angie lost her camera on the way back. We think she left it in the cab but we have no idea. Today we woke up at 9:45 (or at least I did). We made it out by 10:40 a.m. Had breakfast at the hotel (Pestana Rovuma). Then we went to two museums but they were both closed. After that, we went to the beach. It was a dirty beach but a beach none the less. Its called Catembe. It has the most beautiful view of the city. It was really quiet as is everything in this city. I feel like Americans are so loud that when we come to other cities we expect the hustle of our cities and its just not the same. But anyways, we went and had fun. I drank a Hunters and collected the shells Eddy asked me to bring him . . . That boy. I can’t decide whether I like him or just like the idea of him. Anyways enough about that. I have a law school essay to write. Sigh . . . so I shall go. Africa is amazing. I wish my thoughts were dedicated to her beauty.

No comments: